This week I worked in Grasshopper and Rhino to create pavilions out of a parametric truss system.
Starting with the Catenary truss system created last week, I started by arraying the truss so it could be used as a system of trusses for a roof structure. To do so, I fed the top chord through a Linear Array function, which had sliders for spacing and the number of trusses attached to it. Then I extended the top chord using an Extend tool, with another slider, which also had the top chord run through it. Next the stringers, which are perpendicular rods that span the truss system, were created. This used Multiplication, Move, Flip, and Polyline functions (with another slider) to connect the points of where the web chords meet the top chord and create a line. After the stringers, the trusses were made to rotate at an angle, through a Rotation function. To do so, the number of trusses was extracted through a Series function, which was associated with the YZ axis and then put through the rotation function. Then, the linear array function was fed through the rotation function and then through a Curve bucket, which was connected back to the original truss system. Finally, the support and loft geometry was created using more of the polyline function, and the system was ready to be manipulated and baked. Here is the final product:
The next step was to use this truss system as a roof structure for some pavilions. I chose to install it as a system for two of my pavilions, and then created a third pavilion.
For my rectangular pavilion, I kept the system flat and baked it so that it fit into the roof. I then rotated it in Rhino so that it fit with the angle of the roof. Here is the finished product:
I’m curious as to what to do to help the truss system fit into the roof better, because it looks a bit unrealistic right now.
I tried to create a curved system to support my curved pavilion, but failed. I attempted to substitute the linear array with an Array along a Curve function, but it just did not fit like I wanted it to.
Next, I created a huge pavilion structure to go over the curving pool. I made the trusses as big as possible, then baked it into Rhino. Using the loft geometry I created, I made a roof cladding, and then supported the roof with some columns at every truss. Here is the finished pavilion:
Finally, I reworked my hybrid pavilion so it had a curving roof (using a loft between the two top edges), then tried to create a rotating truss system that fit with it. The first problem I encountered was that the geometry I wanted from the parametric truss was curving the wrong way. By removing a Reverse function that was associated with the array, I was able to flip the rotation, but some of the trusses web chord geometry got really messed up. However, the structural roof structure is effective and fits with the lofted geometry. I am curious as to how to fix this.